Deposition – Frederick Bevan


The Depositions

The Statement of Frederick Bevan


On the 19th March 1885, during initial court proceedings at Roebourne, murder accused Frederick Bevan exercised his legal right not to give a statement (as did the other accused, Charles Warburton and San Qui).

Perhaps Frederick thought better of this later, or maybe he thought he could collect his thoughts and state them more logically by writing his own statement.

On the following day he proceeded to write a statement in pencil covering 16 foolscap pages. It is a wordy, some may say ponderous, document. However, it does provide an interesting social commentary into Frederick’s everyday life leading up to the murders and just after.

Frederick wrote in a very neat hand but with spelling and punctuation errors. There were no question marks. Full stops were either in the middle of sentences or non existent at the end. Therefore, for easier reading, I have corrected these, and added quotation marks to indicate conversations.

I have not corrected spelling errors. Frederick tended to spell some words the way he spoke them and I believe this is a reflection of his accent and general speech.

With regards to names in the statement:

“Lilleys” refers to Edward Lillis.
“Gilrory” refers to William Gilroy.
“San quiey” refers to San Qui.
“Walbourton/Walborton” and other similar spellings refer to Charles Warburton.
“Connor” refers to Sergeant Daniel O’Connell.

Words in square brackets are my own to help clarify a word:


Part of the first page of Frederick Bevan's statement

Roebourne March 20th 1885

I, Freaderick Beavan make this statement from the 10th January 1885:

I came home on this day Saturday the 11th Jan as my work is some three miles from the town of Roebourne and only come home every Saturday evening about four or five o’clock. I got home about five o’clock. My wife was there and a man named Lilleys, he as been staying at my house about three week than. I sat down a few munites. I than went out to work myself. Mrs Beavan came out to and told me that Mr Gilrory was thire. I said then, “O, whats do he want heare.” Mrs Beavan than told me, that he came hire on Friday, the 9th Jan and asked her were Mr Beavan was. Mrs Beavan than told him that I was out at work and would be in tomorrow. Mrs Beavan than asked him, what he wanted, he said, “O I only wanted to know if he could let me stope here two or three days as me and Mr Basett as had a few words”. Mrs Beavan, then said, “Will I don’t know, we have one man here now Lilleys with a very bad hand, and we have only just room enugh for him”. Gilrory than asked Mrs Beavan if she would let him stop thire till Mr Beavan came home. Mrs Beavan said, “Well yes, but you will have to sleep in that room with Lilleys for I have no place else”. He then said “That will do, as I shall be going away into the bush in two or three days”.

No. 2

I than told my wife that she had no rite to tell him he could stope. I than finished working myself, and went into the bedroom put on a clean shirt and trouses. I came outside then, and sat down. I was thire about ten mintes and Gilrory came than and sate at the front door. I was just then getting one bottle of sugar beer. I asked Lilleys if he would take a glass of beer. He said no. Gilrory, me, and Mrs Beavan had one glass each. Gilrory then said “Beavan”. I said “yes”. He then said he wanted to know if I could let him stope thire untill Tusday or Wednesday at the longst. I then said well I don’t know it take me all my time to keep myself. Girory said then, “Well I have had a few words with old Barstt and he told me I could not stope thire any longer and if you will lit me stope here untill about Wednesday I will not forget you as I am a pushed”. I then said “All rite, you can stope untill then”. I do not like to see a man hard up. Me, Mrs Beavan, Lilleys, Gilrory had supper. It was than about seven o’clock. Gilrory then went out. I did not see him any more untill Sunday morning. Gilrory then told me then on Sunday that he had sold his watch to San quiey. I did not ask Gilrory how much for. San quiey came to my house on Sunday afternoon and showed me and Lilleys and Mrs Beavan the watch. It is a silver watch. San quiey then gave to Gilrory a pound noute. San quiey and Gilrory went away from my house. Gilrory was away about one hour. We then had supper. It was than about half past six o’clock. After supper me and my wife went out for a walk. We was away about three quarteres of hour and came back home. Lilleys and Gilroy were there (turn over other side).

No. 3

when we returned. Gilrory then asked me if I could get some sugar beer. I did not know but I would go and try if he liked. He then said all rite, anded me a one pound noute. I took a bag and got the sugarbeer and came back and gave Gilrory 17/6 change back. While I was away Mr Frank Smith came to my house to ask for some pain killer. He stayed about three quarter of an hour. He did not have any beer. He then went away. Lilleys then went to bed and Gilrory went out. I don’t think he went to bed then. I did not see him any more till Monday morning. I was taken very short in the morning and went down to Mr Riddleys water closet. That was just before sun rise on Monday morning. On coming up to my house from Mr Riddleys water closet I saw Gilrory down at Mr Dunagans Blacksmith shop. This was on Monday morning the 12th January. I then went to bed again. It was than about half past o’clock. I than got up again at ten minute to six and washed and went for our meal for me Walbouton to take out with us to our work; I got 12lb of mottun. I then came back to my house with it. I then made the fire and put the water for tea for breakfast. I then went in told my wife to get up, as it was getting late. Than Walbouton came and said “Good morning are you ready”. I said “No. We are not going out before breakfast are we?” Walbourton than gave me two one pound notes, part of what Walbourton received from Mr Platt for stone got for Mr Platt. I gave one pound to my wife. Walbourton than went back to Mr Noonan for Breakfast. I went to Mr Rae [McRae] store. I got 2lbs flower, 2 tins of cocoa, then came back home and we had breakfast. Me, Mrs Beavan, Lilleys and Gilrory. It was then about seven o’clock.

No. 4

Walbourton than came back from breakfast to my house and brought some potatos with him which he got from Mrs Noonan. I than said to him “Charley how long will the cart be?” meaning Mr Platts team which was to have gone out to were me and Walborton was getting stone. We waited about one hour than Walbourton went down to Mr Platts to see if the team was going out. Mr Platt told him the team was gon to Cossack. Walbouton than came back to my house and told me the team had gon to Cossack. We then took one glass of sugar beer each. While Walbourton was at breakfast I went to Mr Halls and got one gallon of sugar beer each while Walbourton was at breakfast. I went to Mr Halls and got one gallon of sugar beer about half past seven o’clock in the morning after drinking one glass of beer each. Mrs Beavan, Lilleys and Gilrory were in the house. Me and Walborton took up our meat and flower and some potatos and large book. This was on Monday the 12th January and started out to our work. We went down by Mr Richardsons house and cross by the bath house onto the road and arrived at our camp at about ten o’clock. I then made the fire and boiled some water and made some cocoa. Me and Walborton then layed down in our tent. We did not go out to work till after dinner as it was very hot that day. We then sent out to work between two and three o’clock. We work up till sunset and got about four yards of stone. We then came into our camp and got our suppers. It was then about between seven and 8 o’clock. Walbourton then made a damper and I lay down. Walbourton sat at the fire a little while and then can [came] into the tent and lay down to. Walbourton then said to me “I think we will go on that other hill in the morning Beavan”. I said, “What the hill were we burned the spinifex on Saturday?” He said “yes”. I said “All rite, we have got all the stone that is any good on the other, I think”. Walbourton than said “O, I did not tell you

No. 5

about what Mr Platt said did I?” I said “No, what is it?” I said “Is it about the stone?” Walborton then said yes. I then said “I think that damper is burning”. Walborton said “Yes, it ought to be don”. He then went and took the damper out of the ashes. I then took off my clothes and got into my bed. Walbourton then came into the tent with the damper and took off his clothes and got into bed also. I then said “What did Platt say about the stone?” Walborton said, “He says that last two loads of stone was very good shaped stones, but they were roten and was no good only for filling in with and not to send any more in as he could not pay for these if we did”. I said “Then I don’t think thires any more to send in”. Tthen the dogs began to bark. I do not know what at. I told them to lie down. I then said “I going to sleep Charley. I feel sleepy”. Walborton said “So do I”. I then got a drink of water and to sleep. It was than about nine o’clock I think. I do not know what time it was as I had been to sleep and went to sleep again and did not wake again untill just the breaking of the day and Walbourton was just putting on his trouses and said “Are you awake Beavan?” I said yes. Walbourton than made the fire and the cocoa. We had half a pint of cocoa each. It was then just sun rise. The 13th January. Me and Walbouton than went out to work about 300 yard from how tent. We were out about half an hour. I saw some one come from Roebourne up to Mr McRaes fence between our tent and McRaes fence. I think he would be about 200 yards from McRaes fence. He was on horse back and thire was three horses feeding about 200 yards from the fence. He went up to the horses and turned them and took them to Roebourne. I could not see who it was. It may have been Mr Alfred Brown as he dose go out thire for cart horses. I am not sure it was him. However it was they could see us at work for we were working on

No. 6

we were working on a rise. Anyone passing down the road could see us at work, but they would not be able to tell how we were without they know how we were. It was very close this morning, hot I mean. Me and Walbourton worked about two hours and got about two yards of stone. We then went in to our breakfast. It was about seven o’clock. We did not take long to breakfast. We then went to our work again. We had been at work about one houre and an half, and we seen Mr Platts team coming. I do not know how see it first. We were about 50 to 60 yards from the cart track. The team then came up. I said to Walbourton “Why thats a new teamster”. He said “Yes, I know is it”. Walborton then said that man that was working for Mr Basett. By this time the team was up to us. I told him to take his team up to another hill and pointed towards another hill about 200 yards from were we were. But he stoped his team on the cart track and came over to were we were. He then said good morning. Walbourton then said good morning. The teamster then said “I do not know weather you chaps have heard of the horred murder at the Bank in Roebourne or know”. Walbourton was standing up at this time about 6 feet from the teamster. Walbourton and about the same from me. Walbourton then said “O, how were they murdered?” He said he did not know much about them, all he know was Mr Anketell was laying in the vearander. I then asked him if the bank had been robbed. He said he did not know. Walbourton than said “If they have, thank god they have got none of mine”. The teamster than said “If they have, they have got a few pounds of mine”. I then said “Have you got money in the bank?” The teamster said “Only about 14 pounds”. The teamster than went over to this team and me and Walbourton went over to the other hill. The teamster and his team followed us over to the stone and we loaded the team with stone. All that was said whilst loading the team that

No. 7

Mr Platt wanted us to send in a load of good flat stones. The team then went away and we went back to our work again. We worked about half hour after the team had gon and we then went to our tent and lay down on our beds. Walbourton than took a large book he had and he began to read to himself. It was than about half past ten o’clock. I had been laying down about 20 minutes. I then said, “What do you say if we have a drop of cocoa and go in and hear about the murder and we can come out again this evening?” Walbourton than said all rite. I then made the fire and boiled the water and made the cocoa about half a pint each. We drank it and started into Roebourne. We got into Roebourne. Walbourton went along by the blacksmith shop. I went up by the back of Mr Richardsons house to my own house. I went in at the front door. I than saw a man named Lilleys siting on the soafey. I sat down. My wife was in the bedroom. My wife than came out asked me if I had heard about the murder at the bank. I than said yes, but only a few word by Platt’s teamster. Lilleys then told me that Mr Anketell and the other persons name he did not know had been murdered. I then asked if they had got any one for it. He did not know. He thought not. It was then ten minutes past 12 o’clock. My wife then asked were Walbourton was. I told her he had gon on to be in time for dinner as he was boarding at Mr Noonans. I then sent out to get a drink of water. As I was drinking the water I saw Gilrory coming from Mr Peads old store. He then got down to my house just as I was going in. Gilrory said “Alow Beavan. Have you heard about this horred ifear?” I said “Only a few words the teamaster as told us and Lilleys”. Gilrory said “I just come from the bank now and have seen both of them”. He then said “You would not know Mr Anketell if you saw him”.

No. 8

Gilroy then said me “You would not know him. He is that much disfigure. His head is nothing but one mass of wounds”. He then told us that Mr Burrup was not so bad. He said he was not cut about so much. He then said he did not think any white man had commited that murder. Me, Mrs Beavan, Gilrory and Lilleys had dinner. Gilrory asked if I would go up to Mr Hall for a gallon of sugar beer. I then said “Not now. I will go after dinner”. I then asked him if he had heard of any work yet. Gilrory told me yes, he expected a job from the new store keeper. I asked what at. He told me to help put the iron on the new store keepers store. It was then two o’clock. Gilrory asked me againg to go for some sugar beer. I said yes. He give me a half crown peice and I took a little bucket up to Mr Halls. When I got thire Mrs Hall was just coming out of the room were they kep the beer with a black quart panakin in her hand and gave it to one of the nigger woman thire was thire siting on the ground. Mrs Hall did not see me untill she turned round. she then said “Good evening”. I said “Good eveing Mrs Hall”. I then said “Will you please to let have a gallon beer?” Mrs Hall took the bucket into the room were they keep the beer. I stood at the door. Mrs Hall then asked me if the police had got on the tracks of any one yet. I told her I did not know hardley anything about it as yet as I had only came in at dinner time. Mrs Hall then asked me how I thought it was as Mr Hall had told her he thought it was Chinamen. I then said it might be Chinamen or white men. It was hard to say. Mrs Hall gave me the beer and I gave Mrs Hall the money. Then Mr Dunagans cook came and asked for a bucket of water. Mrs Hall then told him to take it and be off. I then went away home with my beer. I had two glasses of beer and then Gilrory asked me if I was going down the town.

No. 9

I told him not yet. Gilrory then went away by himself. I then put the remainder of beer into bottles. At about half four after Gilrory had gone I went down to Mrs Noonan to see Walbourton. I look in at his window he was not thire. I than went towards Mr Thomsons. I then see Walbouton in Ashtons new store looking at some watch keys. I sat down on a box. Thire was in the store Mr Trustlove, William King, Charles Walbourton, Thomas Platt and Mr Coffin. We were all talking about the murder. Walbourton could not get a watch key. Thomas Basitt bought a black coat and I bought 2 shirts. I paid 7/0 on cash, the other was 4/6. I did not pay for the last then. Me and Walbourton then came out and went to Mr Noonan bar. I called for two glasses of brandy. Mrs Noonan served me and I gave her a dollar piece. She gave two shillings and six pence change. Mrs Noonan than asked if we had heard any thing [“fresh” crossed out] more about the murder. I then told her they were tracking about the bank. Some one then came into the bar and said they had got a chinaman and a tomeyark. Walbouton said it will be rough on the Chinamen now. I know. Walbourton than asked me if I had bought the shirts. I said yes they are no cheaper than in the other store. I then called for two more glasses brandy a gave Mrs Noonan one shilling. We then drank our brandy and went outside. I then said “I am going home”. Walbourton then said “Well are we going out this evening?” I then said, “Well what do you say if we go out before breakfast in the morning?” I went home. It was than about four o’clock. When I got home Lilleys was thire and my wife and she asked me what I had got in the paper. I said two shirts. I then told what I had heard about the murder. I then went out cut up some fire wood and we had tea early. Gilrory was in his room and came out to tea. Mrs Beavan called him and we all had tea.

No. 10

It was than about seven o’clock. Mrs Beavan cleared the tea thing away and began to ironing some shirts for Mr James Carey. Lilleys went up to the doctors for his sleeping draught. Gilrory went down town. Lilleys was away about 20 minute. Gilrory was away about one hour. He had been back about ten minutes when Walbourton came and sate down outside on a box. Me and Gilrory went out to. Gilrory then began to talk about the murder and asked Walboton if he had heard any thing new. He said no. Gilrory asked me if thire was any beer. I said two bottles. I brought these out. I took one glass. Mrs Beavan one glass, Lilleys did not take any. Gilrory had one glass. Walbouton did not take any then. Walborton and Gilrory began to talk about a murder that had been committed in Manchester some time ago and how the murderers were never found out. I then said to Lilleys “Were are you off to?” He said to bed. I said “What time was it?” It then nine o’clock. “I shall not be long of it either”. I asked Gilrory if he would have the bottle of beer. He said he did not mind. We drank the bottle beer. Walborton did not have any. Walborton then said to me “What time are we going out in the morning?” I said “O early”. He said “All rite. I come up and wake you up”. I said all rite and Walborton did not have any angarey words that night as Lilleys stated in court. Walborton went home. I then said “I am off to bed” to Gilrory. Mrs Beavan was in bed. I went to bed to. Gilrory did not. He said he was going down to Mr Basitts. I did not hear him come home. It was then 25 minutes past nine o’clock by my clock. On Wednesday morning just before sun rise Walbourton came up to my house and called out “Beavan, Beavan”. I then said “All rite”. Walbourton went away to Mr Richardsons house. I did not get up as I thought Walbourton had gone down for bath house to swim. I lay in bed some time. He did not come back. I then got up and took a new shirt and trouser (?) and went down towards the bathhouse. I saw Mr Platt. I called him. I asked him if thire

No. 11

would be any chance of a job on the building when I had finished getting stone. Mr Platt said “Well I cannot tell you just now but if thire is I will let you know”. He then told me to send him in two or three load of good flate stones, thine ones. I said all rite. I then went on to the bath house. Mr R. McRae was then in the water. He said “Good morning Beavan”. I said “Good morning sir”. I then took of my clothes and got into the water also. I then asked Mr Rae [McRae] if he had heard any thing fresh about the murder. He said no he had not heard anything. He then got out of the water and put on his clothes and went away toward the store. I went home. I then asked my wife if Walborton had been while I was away. She said no. I then made the fire and choped up some wood for the fire. Mrs Beavan got up. It was then between six and seven o’clock. I then said “I am going down to Mr Noonan to see if I can see Walborton”. I then went down by the meat house to San quieys house. I did not go in. I asked a Chinaman if Lockyers cook was thire. He shook his head meaning no. I then turned round and went past the meat house over toward Noonans. I went round the back of Noonans kichen, went into the water closet. I was in two or three minutes. I came out and went toward Mr Ashtons store. Mr Gorge Thomas was on the rufe of the store taken of the Jack(?). I then said to Mr Thomas “Thats rather a dusty job”. He said “Yes and dry to”. He then asked me if I would go over and hand a nipe meaning a glass of brandy. He then came down and we went to Mr Noonans. Mr G. Thomas called for a glass of rum and glass of brandy and paid for it to Mrs Noonan, went out over to the store again. Mr Thomas to work again. I went into Ashtons store. I was thire about five minutes. Gilrory came in and boght a (???) strap and paid for it 1/6 then Mr Thomas came in and told Gilrory that Mr Osbourne wanted to see him. I than went down to Mr Thomsons. When I got thire was Mr Shepard. Frank Morgan, Charles Haley siting on the wall??? of the new billard room. They said good morning. I said good morning and sat down alongside of Morgan.

No. 12

Morgan then asked me were was Walborton. I told him that was just what I had come down for. “Have you seen him?” He said “No not this morning”. I then said he moust have gon out than. I asked Morgan how it was he was not at work. He said that Platt would not give the wages he wanted and he would do no more for him. He then asked me if I would have a drink. I said yes. We went inside, called for a glass of rum and one glass of brandy and paid for it. Thire were in the bar Mr R. McRae and three others I do not know. We were all talking about the murder. I was there about 20 minute. I then called for two more drinks and then started for home. I had got as far as Mr Ashburtons store. Mr Thomas was standing at the corner of the store. He said “Are you going?” I said “Yes, are you?”. He said “Yes”. We then went into Noonans. I called for two glass of grog, one rum one Brandy. I paid for it. Mrs Noonan then asked me how it was I had not gon out. I told her I some bisness to do. Cannot I go out when I like?. Me and Mr Thomas went out together. We got up as far as Mr Peads old store and Richard Burnsides was there. Thomas went over to him and talked thire. I went down home. My wife said “Have you seen Walbuton?” I said “No, he as gon out”. She then told me I had been drinken. I said “Yes. I had a glass or too”. Me, my wife and Gilrory and Lilleys had breakfast. It was about 8 o’clock. Gilrory then told me he had got a job at Mr Osbournes. I asked what to do. He said to help Thomas. Mrs Beavan then asked if I was going out to work today. I said no today. Gilrory asked me if I was going down town. I said yes. We went to Mr Osbournes shope. Mr Osbourne told Gilrory what he wanted him to do at Ashburtons store. We then went into the store. George Thomas, Mr Hall, Mr Trouslove in the store. They were talking about the store. What it wanted doing too. I sate down on a box. Mr Hall next to me. They were talking about the police. What they might to have done when the murder was first discovered. Mr Osbourne told

No. 13

Gilrory he could come to work after dinner. Then I helped Mr Asherton to put a bag and a half bag of potatoes into Mr Halls team. They were for Mrs Barthgate. Gilrory then asked if I would go over and have a nipe. I said yes. We went into Mr Noonan. I had a glass of rum. Gilrory Brandy. I had two or three glass of rum. I told Gilrory I was going home but I was going to San quieys first. He said “All rite I will go home”. I was going out the billard. I saw Watson standing at his room door. I went to him. Thire 2 more in the room. I did not go in. I asked Watson if he had seen Lockyers cook. He said he did not know him. I said what do you want to tell me d-m lie for. I know he was tell me a lie for I had seen him and Lockyers cook together. I did not say I would shout him or that I was a policeman for he knows what I was as he, Watson stated in court. It was than ten o’clock. I went over to San quieys to see Lockyers cook to ask him to take a note out to Frank Bradcock. He said yes. San quiey asked me to come in . I went into his room. He asked to have a nipe meaning a glass of grog. I did. I wante to buy some ornements he had on his table but he would not sell them to me. I came out of San quiey room and Lockyer’s cook then asked me if they had got any more locked up. I told him only one Chinaman. He said “I know that”. I then said to him “My word white fellow thinkum chinaman killum white flower [fellow?]”. He said “No fear”. I did not say B–dy Chinaman killum white flower [fellow?] as stated in court. This been about 15 minutes. I then went home. When I got home I saw Lilleys siting on the soafey. My wife was in the bedroom I went into the bedroom, asked for a drink of water and lay down and went to sleep. I do not know if I had any dinner that day or no. I do not remember anything untill my wife wakened me at the time. I thin got up and went and had wash.

No. 14

And Tea was ready. Me Gilrory, Mrs Beavan and Lilleys had tea. Gilrory then asked if I was coming down the street. I said no. Mrs Beavan than said, “No he’s not going out any more”. I did not go out that night at all but went to bed earley as I did not feel well. On Thursday morning did not get up till late as I was bad as I had straned myself the week before while me and Walborton was turning over a large stone and my eurin was the coulor of blood. I did not go out this day any were. I had very bad pains across my loines. Gilrory was at work this day. In the evening I felt better. I told my wife I would go out in the morning. Friday 16th Jan I got up before sun rise and started out to my work. I got thire about ten minutes after sun rise. Walborton was just going out to work. He said “Alow, how is it you did not come out befor?” I told him on Wednesday I got tight and Thursday I was not well. He then went to work. I went the tent took off my shirt and had a drink of water and went to work also. Walbourton and me got about about a yard and half of stone this this morning and went in to breakfast. We had our breakfast under the shade of a tree. We had very near finished our breakfast. I then said to Walborton “Look over thire” and saw four men on horse back. They were then close to McRaes fence. They went along the road about ten minute. After the dog barked we looked round and saw the horse men coming towards us. I then said “Why it the police”. They came up and stood about two minute and never spoke a word to us. Walborton then asked Lawrace if they had got on the tracks of any body yet. He would not speake. Then the Sargent asked when I came out. I told him this morning. He said which way. I then pointed the way I cam out. He then called Harry Smith away about 20 yard away. I do not know what he said but smith would not speak. Smith is one of trackers. O’Conner then said to Walborton “I shall arrist you and you to Beavan”. I said all rite.

No. 15

They read no warrant to us but arristed on spicion of murder and robbery at Roebourne. We then went to Roebourne and locked us up. We then had on hearing Saturday and was remanded for 8 days. The tracks they swear it as our tracks are not ours tracks. I have never been that away in my life which God above knows. Neather do I turn my left foot out as they sweare I do. I have never been hurd(?) to make me walkin so I walk as straight as any man. Look at my boots. You will find that the inside side of my left boot is woran away by treading in towards my rite boot. Look at the upper of my left boot. You will find it is woran away by my kicking against the inside of my rite boot when walking and by so doing as thrown me down many times. Neather do I ever know Walborton to have said what Harrison as stated in court. Neather have I ever made use of the words Harrison swears I did in the well to Walbourton which I can swear by God above. I have never made use of such words in my life. It is a story he as made up in his own had. Wile he was locked up for been drunk. The first part of his evidence he stated on the Sunday morning to the jailor. The jailor then told Seargnt O’Connor. He then was took out his cell. O’Conner then took Harrison into the office and stated the above statement. He then was took before the Government Resident and was charged with been drunk and was discharged. Whereas he Harrision had been out four or five weeks from jail from under going a sentence of two month for being drunk. Harrison then again before the last term of imprisonment was out two or three days from searving another term of imprisonment. I think it was two months for been drunk. What was he let of the last time for. I say for making that false statement and nothing else.

No. 16

I have known Harrison about five years. I have never been friendly with him. He is a very disagreable man for no one can work with him. He was working at Lockyers when I was. He as been to my house two or three times. The two first times he came he asked my wife to give him something to eat. He said he had nothing to eat for two days and my wife gave him somthing to eat. I was not there. I was in the bush. The last time he came he was drunk. He again asked for something to eat. I told him no and to go were he had been drinking and get something to eat and not come here. He told me to go to b–y. He went away and was locked up that evening. That was in October last I believe. I have been working now with Walborton about 8 months. He had been boarding at my house about 4 months befor he went to Mr Noonans to board. I have never seen such a hat on Walborton head as the one Mr Noonan swears he as seen Walborton wearing. It is false and Mr Noonan knows it. Walborton as two hats. A working hat and and Sunday hat. The working hat was produced in court. Walbortons Sunday hat could not be found when they took all Walborton clothes from Mr Noonans. But since we have been committed it can be found. Then take the last two hats; Walborton working hat and Sunday hat and conpair them with the one that Mr Noonan swears is Walbotons and it will be found that thire is a great diferance I think. Walboton takes a very small size, a boys size 6 5/8 is Walbotons size. Thire is 7 or 8 persons were Walboton as been in the habit of going to can prove they have never seen such a hat on Walbortons head and can swear to the hats he as been wearing this three month. I Frederick Beavan am charged with a crime that I know no more about than a child unborne which god alone knows. I never was out of my bed that night that horrible murder was committed neither have I thought such a thing. Neither have I ever spoken to any one about either committing any robbery or murder. I have never had any reason to committ such a crime. I have always had money in my pocket and a comfortable home to go to. Neather do I know of any one that as ever spoken about such a thing as the crime I am charged with. Thire is no one can come and say that I had ever taken a penny from them unjustly since I have been in the north west. I have been in the colony 18 years. I was sent out to West Australia a convict. My sentence was seven year. I served five years four month. I was then let out on a ticket of leafe and became an expiree in 1872. I have never been in truble sence but twice for been drunk in Roebourne. I have worked hard for a living since I have been in colony. I have been in the North West six years and six months. I have been married four years. I have been working on Mr Lockyers ??? about three years and nine months and then left and came into Roebourne. I have been in Roebourne about one year and nine month and I now stand charged with murder and robbery which I have never committed which God above and the murderer or murders know that me and Walborton know nothing of this crime whatever. I now close my statement by trusting in God in hoping that he will befriend me as he is the only friend I have got now and hoping God will confound the false witnesses that are swearing my life away. Mr O’Connor I blame for it all. It is not the guilty party or party they want but the reward. I have no more to say.

I remain
Frederick Beavan.

Handed to me by Frederick Bevan at Roebourne on the 26th March 1885 in the presence of D. O’Connell, Sergeant of Police and W. Barnaby, Acting Gaoler.

E.H. Laurence
Govt Resd Roebourne.